Friday, September 11, 2009

Tea Party -- Delaware Kids Photographer

What's the one lesson you NEED to know as a child photographer? Stop trying to predict how things will go! Just stop it. Children—much like adults (well, except me, of course ; ))—are completely unpredictable. Take yesterday, for example. I was just 100% sure that Maliya would show up and in true Maliya fashion not want to associate with the other little girls for about 30 minutes. I wondered if she would even join in the fun of the tea party. But, I knew that at the very least, she would quickly devour a cupcake for the camera. I also knew that Kayla and Emma would come flying in, hop down into their seats and give me a big dose of silly. Well, needless to say, I didn't get anything that I expected. Maliya was raring to go, but not all that interested in her cupcake. And Kayla and Emma were surprisingly subdued ... that is, until the sugar overload kicked in!


The goal of the shoot was nothing more than practice for me. We shot these pictures in my parents' backyard, which usually gets full sun all day. But, since it was a completely cloudy morning with rain supposedly just an hour away, I figured we'd be ok. But literally the second I put the finishing touches on the decor, the bright, bright sun came out ... and stayed out. See. Like I said. You just can't predict anything!

So, on to the photos of this girlie extravaganza. It was shabby chic all the way!




Check out these pink (of course) gorgeous cupcakes from SAS Cupcakes on Main St. Don't you just want to eat that pile of frosting? Yah, me, too. And I did. The whole giant pile. FYI, SAS offers nationwide shipping. And amazingly enough, the cupcakes arrive in absolutely perfect condition. No lie. It's pretty amazing! Check them out.



Like I said, it was a girlie party. Note the sign ...



Here's our little Emma displaying very proper, subdued British manners. She looks lovely in this hat that my Mom found up in Maine.











Maliya's little bear joined in the fun, too. I was happy to see him : ) I gave him to her while she was still in her Mommy's tummy. He's sitting in a cute little vintage doll high chair that my Grandfather gave to me. It belonged to my Mom and her sisters when they were little.



Bella wanted to come, too. Actually, she was the only thing predictable about the day. She managed to find an empty cupcake wrapper and devour it before anyone could stop her. Sigh.









Check out Kayla's gloves!









I love this next one. Like I said, so much for Maliya's not wanting to play with the other girls.





Doesn't it look like they're having a heart to heart in this next one?!




So, after the tea party, the girls did a little crab apple picking. I must say, my parents have THE best yard for pictures! Well, minus the whole full sun thing.



Maliya didn't like them at first (note the face). But then she decided that sour is good and devoured a couple.



And then it was time to burn off the sugar overload.















Bella loved having the little girls pay attention to her. She only closes her eyes like this when she's very, very happy.





Thus endeth a very long post. Thank you, girls for coming to my tea party!

I hope everyone has a happy, dry weekend!
- Kate

5 comments:

Amie Schroeder September 11, 2009 at 10:12 PM  

Hey Kate - Love your set up - made me want to come and have a cup too. My alllll time favorite was the ring-around-the-rosey picture with the two girls in black and white. They're spinning, their hair is blowing...in beautiful dresses. Made me want to have a girl. Inspirational.

Tanna September 11, 2009 at 10:27 PM  

These are all so AHH-DORABLE! It was the perfect location and I loved the shabby-chic decor, especially the chandelier. Thanks for all your hard work Aunt Kate...and goodies! Maliya loved drinking her lemonade...I mean tea out of her special cup ;) She's already asking to have another tea party!

Cindy September 11, 2009 at 10:49 PM  

Kate,
The pictures came out so beautiful. They are just precious.
The girls had so much fun with Maliya. They are still talking about all the fun they had.

airika121 September 13, 2009 at 6:08 PM  

I'm in absolute love with 3 of them!! All are beautiful but I LOVE the one of Kayla looking up with the birdcage behind her (adorable menacing yet sweet look!), the heart to heart talk and then Kayla running by the flowers. Stop it ok...I already have one 8x10 of Kayla on my wall, I can't do many more! I think 'Cotton' ;) might get jealous :-D Bravo, as always :)

Kate September 14, 2009 at 12:16 PM  

Thanks, girls! It was such a fun time : ) I can take only a smidgen of the credit for all this cuteness ... because ... let's face it ... these girls are seriously cute!

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP