Friday, August 28, 2009

Leaving On A Jet Plane -- Delaware Glamour Photography

I'm heading towards the big two. That's right! In December, my little photography business will be officially two years old. I can't believe how fast the time has gone by! It seems like just yesterday that I was borrowing the camera from work to "fool around" on the weekends. I had no idea what I was doing, though. I would simply set the camera on the "no flash" setting and let the camera do the deciding for me. I didn't understand camera settings at all, and when someone tried to teach them to me, my visual mind couldn't understand the verbal explanation. But in time, I learned. And in time, I got my very own camera body and lens. And it rocked my world! I left my job and used that one camera body and one lens for well over a year. I couldn't afford to invest in any additional equipment, so instead, I invested in creativity. I studied light, angles, and people. And in time, I came to understand camera settings and how to create amazing imagery manually. And even with my limited equipment, I progressed. And then, just a few months back, I finally did get a second lens! And my how that lens rocks my world! And then, as if that weren't enough, I upgraded my camera body. And that (yes, you guessed it) ROCKED my world. But I'm still not someone to rely on equipment and gear. You will never see me walking around with 20 lenses strapped around my waist ... that's just not my style. I feel like it would distract me from what's really going on and I just might miss an amazing moment.

Anyway, from time to time, I schedule shoots for no reason other than to practice and try out new techniques and to really push myself. Yesterday, a good friend obliged me and was willing to be my victim, er, model. She was all like, "Ok, ok. I'll do your shoot. But only if you get out one of your jets."

Check it out. Isn't my jet nice?




Alright, I don't have any jets. But this particular shoot is such a cool example of creating truly meaningful imagery. My friend works at an airport, LOVES airplanes, and is wearing her Grandmother's wrap. I love when people are able to somehow work in both their passions and memories into our shoot.



Ooooh, I love this next one ...









This next one is my absolute favorite. It's a prime example of how my camera ROCKS my world. The plane was inside the hanger when we shot this and it was completely dark inside. There was a little light coming in the window, of course, but barely anything. I shot this at 6000 ISO. Yes, I said 6,000! The original picture had barely any noise, which is just insanely, crazily amazing. The grain that you see in the picture was actually added by me because I wanted to give it a really, really vintage film look.











On second thought ... this one might be my favorite. Not sure. I love that you can see her Grandmother's name on the lining.









And then, I dragged her up a ladder. She thought I was crazy. But I LOVE these : )




And with a little vintage finish ...


I'm very happy to report that I came up with a brand new service. The idea just popped right into my head while we were shooting in the plane! It's sure to be a BIG hit ; ) It's on-flight corporate head shots. Yes, that's right. This wonderful service would save CEOs precious time by allowing them to make use of their flight hours. In lieu of payment, I will accept a week-long stay in a 4-star hotel. Meals and extra desserts included. The suite must include a princess bed for my assistant, Bella. Please note: This service is only valid on flights going to France, Italy, Australia, Tahiti, Switzerland, and Ireland. Oh, and England, too.

Happy Friday!
Kate

11 comments:

airika121 August 28, 2009 at 10:40 AM  

Love them all! I loveeee the wrap, its beautiful. And PS...I hear New Zealand is nice too :p

Lauren August 28, 2009 at 12:34 PM  

Wow Kate! Kathy has the perfect look for this shoot. Definitely has the face of the women of the 1950s 1960s glamour. I didn't realize it at first.. but now looking at her in the photos, she is the epitome of that time period!! Great pick. I'm glad the shoot worked out. Wonderful job.. both of you!!

Kate August 28, 2009 at 12:38 PM  

Thanks, girls!!!! And you're right, Lauren ... she is 100% vintage fabulous! : ) We missed you yesterday, though. Hope to see you soon : )

Tanna August 28, 2009 at 4:33 PM  

Beautiful, LOVE them especially the ones with her on the ladder. Can't wait for Maliya's lil aviator session...on your private jet ;)

Janet August 28, 2009 at 5:13 PM  

I love the Ladder pics!

Anonymous August 28, 2009 at 9:03 PM  

I am completely stunned that you've only been doing this for 2 years. You are one talented woman (and I get to benefit from that talent!).
WOW. Congrats on the anniversary! :)

Cindy August 28, 2009 at 11:49 PM  

I love the pics setting and all.
I love to see the new look vintage.

Jess August 29, 2009 at 10:56 AM  

Kathy rocked this! She's such a classic beauty. She kind of reminds me of whoever played Jeanie in I dream of Genie. Where did you find that vintage looking jet?? So awesome.

Kate August 29, 2009 at 11:30 AM  

Oh, how a vintage plane would have rocked my world, Jess! Instead, we had to "settle" for a gorgeous new jet. But, with the vintage finishes and her outfit, it just works : )

Amie Schroeder August 30, 2009 at 12:28 PM  

Congrats Kate....now I really wish I was there. Your friend is BEAUTIFUL - she should never be afraid to get photographed by anyone. But if anyone should do it - well, I'm glad it was you. The interior shots were phenomenal!!! Soooo, if you ever get to go back...give me a call. please. pretty please. with sugar on top.

Lindsay August 31, 2009 at 9:46 AM  

I'm a little late in seeing these, but I wanted to make sure that Kathy knows how gorgeous she is in these shots. You did an amazing job Kate!!!

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP