Monday, December 29, 2008

Trash the Dress Session -- Delaware Wedding Photographer

If you've ever worked with me, then you know that I get really, really excited about my work -- especially when it seems that everything just comes together for a great session. I start hopping up and down (literally) when the light is perfect. When a client brings his or her dog along and he's just so cute ... I melt. When we explore a new area and discover some awesome place for pictures ... I practically want to cry with happiness! (side note: In an effort to maintain some form of professionalism, I do hold back the tears. I promise. I won't cry during your session!) So, when I got to work with TWO brides at the same time in a post-session AT THE BEACH and IT'S 70 DEGREES IN DECEMBER and the LIGHT is AMAZING ... Needless to say, I got kind of excited. So, bear with me, this is going to be a long post of pictures. But, I just have to share!! This is actually my very first "trash the dress" session at the beach. I really hate that expression, "trash the dress," because we certainly weren't about to "trash" anything on Sunday. We did, however, manage to get the dresses a little sandy and wet! But hey, since the girls have to pay $200+ to have the dresses cleaned and preserved, we might as well give the cleaners something to clean!! 


So, we chose Rehoboth because the boardwalk is so great. We figured it would be pretty empty -- being winter and all. Well, on a 70 degree day in December, the place was packed. And as it turns out, the boardwalk has been ripped out for repairs. So, we braved the crowd and made due with a few spots along the street. Did you know that you get stared at when you wander around in a wedding dress? And gee ... two girls in a wedding dress really attracts some attention!



Did you also know that when you wander around in a wedding dress people give you free stuff? That's right. We were shooting out in front of the candy store when one of the employees ran out and told the girls that they were welcome to anything in the store on him. How nice (and absolutely adorable for pictures!)!!!





And then, on to the beach. Look at my Martha Stewart curtain flying in the breeze. Yes, Martha's designs are not only durable, but very glamorous, too. In fact, if you've ever had a maternity session with me, you've been draped in this curtain. It's been washed like a thousand times and keeps on kicking!






My "direction" to Tara was ... "sit down really un-lady like and stick out your boots." It turned out soooo cute!


These pictures make me want to go out and buy some perfume!! They have that perfume ad look about them. Now all we need is our own scent.



December. December. December. I can't believe we (ok, they) were IN the water. I checked. The water temperature was 46.6 degrees that day.







Both couples were brave to get in the water. But, I must say ... Tara was extra brave since she doesn't know how to swim. Anything to get the shot, right?! (And we would have saved her!)




I love this next one. It's totally a random shot that was actually "softened" by the water that landed on my lens the moment before we took this picture ... when a big old wave suddenly surprised us both. 


Think your wedding dress was heavy? Try wearing it wet!!! 















And to wrap things up, here's the proof that it was cold. I hope they don't hate me for posting these ... but they show what they went through! Poor Jess! We picked the perfect spot where the water just barely came in. I was kneeling right by her taking the picture and then ... WHAM! Whew. That's cold. And I nearly lost the camera, too!
 


And here's Tara's sudden gush of water up the back. 46.6 degrees. Yikes!!



Ok, so if at this point in the post you're thinking that you want pictures like these ... I don't blame you. Me, too! I just might go out and get married so I can have some! (joke, of course) But, you don't need a wedding dress to do this kind of session. Any formal dress will work. Now, I can't guarantee that you'll have a 70 degree day again this winter, but you never know. And actually, snow on the beach would be AMAZING! Shoot me an e-mail or give me a call if you'd like to book a beach session.

Hope everyone is having a great week! - Kate


delaware child photographer, delaware portrait photographer, kate callahan, delaware newborn photographer, pictures, photography, portrait, delaware senior photography, senior pictures, glamour shots, glamour photography, professional photographer, baby photography, child pictures, on location photography, wedding, delaware wedding photographer

10 comments:

Anonymous December 30, 2008 at 7:56 AM  

Hey Kate,

Preview shots look AMAZING!!! I really can't wait to see them all!!! That day was just SO FUN with you and Sabi and Tara. I'm glad we went ahead with the idea of doing this shoot with close friends, it made it so much fun! Our wives look great =)!! Fantastic job Kate!

Anonymous December 30, 2008 at 8:47 AM  

SPEECHLESS, BREATHTAKING, WOW. Very nice. Another great job Kate. Very nice.

Kate December 30, 2008 at 9:14 AM  

You're so right, Dan! Your wives look amazing!!!!!

Anonymous December 30, 2008 at 9:44 AM  

beautiful pictures, beautiful day, beautiful people!

Anonymous December 30, 2008 at 10:56 AM  

We really did have a lot of fun that day. I LOVE the last one of Sabi and Tara- oh my gosh, her face made me laugh out loud. So funny.But it sure was cold..wow. All worth it in the end

Anonymous December 30, 2008 at 11:35 AM  

Oh my goodness Kate! These are SO GORGEOUS!! All of them are amazing ... this is such a good idea to do after the wedding. Everybody's expressions are perfect! I love them!!

Anonymous December 30, 2008 at 11:51 AM  

Kate another great trash the dress session. ALl the pictures are awesome. And i have to agree with Jess on the last one with Tara And Sabby...her face made he laugh out loud too. Just looking at it makes me cold haha.

Kate December 31, 2008 at 10:46 AM  

Glad you guys like them!!!:)

Anonymous December 31, 2008 at 12:34 PM  

The wedding dress pic with the Boot should win a contest! THis I can see on the front of a Wedding magazine!

Anonymous January 4, 2009 at 8:25 PM  

Beautiful :) I love them all and it looks like a lot of fun :)

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP