Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Multi-tasking in Maine

The last two days up here have more than made up for the cold, rainy week that originally greeted us here in Maine. Sunny and 73. As I sit here typing, a cool breeze is coming up off the lake and the wind chimes are calling off in the distance. It's quiet here. No motor boats. No children screaming as they jump off a dock and splash into the water. Just the loons. They've been calling to each other all day today. Everyone else is either at work, in school, or not up here yet. Vacation season doesn't really start until July ... which is why I love it now. When I come back in July, the lake will be abuzz with activity. So today, I decided, would be an excellent day for multi-tasking on the lake. And that's just what I did. I enjoyed an afternoon of what I fondly call, paddle-float-read kayaking. Here's what I was able to accomplish during my Maine-style multi-tasking:

1. Exercise (I even paddled against the breeze.)
2. Relaxation (I floated along with a loon for a little while.)
3. Hair Dying (Although, I think the only thing I really accomplished with my chamomile and lemon mixture was to attract every black fly in Maine. And possibly New Hampshire, too.)
4. Deep mental stimulation (I learned that Nancy Drew really IS smarter than the velvet mask gang!)
5. Vitamin-D Collection (And yes, I consider soaking in the sun a task.)
6. Foot soaking
7. Deep Breathing (The air quality index for this area is 64! It's only 14 in Delaware. I'm trying to stock pile for when I return.)

That's seven things at once! Not bad for a vacation day.

Here are a few pictures I've snapped of the beautiful Maine countryside. The lupines are just beautiful this year. I find myself pulling over along side every field and snapping a picture. I just can't help myself.




























Note the roof in the next picture. There's a little stream that runs behind this building and the alewives are currently swimming up stream. They get stuck and the birds can just swoop down and grab them. Then they fly up and rest on the roof here.



Happy Wednesday!
Kate

delaware child photographer, delaware portrait photographer, kate callahan, delaware newborn photographer, pictures, photography, portrait, delaware senior photography, senior pictures, glamour shots, glamour photography, professional photographer, baby photography, child pictures, on location photography, kate callahan

7 comments:

lindsay June 3, 2009 at 6:22 PM  

I am so jealous!! I wish I could be there with you. I was getting flashbacks to our loon calls late at night and the taste of fresh lobster on a hotdog roll!! I'm glad the weather warmed up for you. Enjoy!!!

Tanna June 3, 2009 at 6:25 PM  

Simply beautiful, each picture looks like it should be a postcard! It makes me definitely want to visit (especially since I've never been there). So....did the hair mixture work??

Kate June 3, 2009 at 6:36 PM  

Oh, Lindsay. It's just not the same calling to the loons without you. I think I saw one laugh at me today. As for my hair mixture, Tanna ... um, I think it might take about 365 more days of this before the highlights are noticeable. On the plus side, though, when my hair blew in my face today, it tasted wonderful : )
Love,
Kate

Anonymous June 3, 2009 at 10:35 PM  

Oh!... the perfect landscape for an oil painting :-) but for now I'm just paining at Gibraltar. You can find me there every Saturday morning. Please take lots and lots of landscape pics... love them all!

Maggie K

april June 4, 2009 at 3:11 PM  

Jealous is not even the word I can use for how I feel looking at those pictures. Truly what I think of, when I think of paradise! Can't wait to be there...
april christine

Holley June 4, 2009 at 6:58 PM  

Oh Kate its so gorgeous there! Why i ask are you in delaware when you have been exposed to this beautiful place???!!?? haha. Cannot wait til the earth will look like this everywhere! Your pictures are breathtaking!

Janet June 5, 2009 at 12:25 PM  

Fantastic pics! You just keep getting better & better Kate!
You would have had a BLAST in Ireland! Check out some of the pics Tanna has.

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP