Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Vintage Yellow -- Delaware Fashion Photographer

Months ago, I found this awesome yellow dress in an antique store. I fell in love. It's a simple little dress ... probably from the 50s?? Not sure. I picked it up and held it against myself. Um ... no. That's not going to fit, I thought. The waist looked like it might fit comfortably on my thigh. But, I still had to have it. So, I bought it and put out a casting call for a skinny minnie size 0 who would be willing to put it on and have some fun. Well, Jess answered the call and as it turns out, the dress fit her perfectly. Like a glove actually. And it looked fabulous. It figures that the day we chose to do her shoot (yesterday) would end up being a randomly COLD spring day. Particularly so because we went down to Old New Castle for her pictures ... and it's always colder right on the water. But she was a trooper. And she really rocked the vintage look. I couldn't help but think back to the very first time I photographed her for her senior pictures. She was the most camera-shy person with whom I had ever worked. I had to keep yelling at her to GET YOUR HANDS OFF YOUR STOMACH! That was her camera quirk. She felt like she didn't know what to do with her hands ... so she would just uncomfortably fold them across her waist. Most people have a little quirk that they pull out when the camera is on them. Whether it's that they drop their eyes to the ground, fidget with their hands, cover their stomach, etc., etc. But that's ok ... after a little time, they loosen up and even ... GASP ... have some fun in front of the camera. Well, there were no hands on the stomach this time around. Just a whole lot of fabulous personality.




Oh the drama ...


I think this next one might be my favorite. I must say. I'm quite sorry that this look has gone out of style for women. It sure is lovely.







And here are the Debbie shots. I think I just heard her gasp. Her daughter is very lovely. 





I HAD to have forsythias in this shoot. I wish I could say that I planned to have them in full bloom for the shoot. But, I didn't. It was a very fortunate coincidence. 











And back to the Ivory building. That's twice in three days that I've shot in front of this wall. Its just so cool!




And the yellow phone. Had to pull that out, too. 



And finally, this last picture is a new product that I'll be offering with Beautiful You by Kate shoots. You belong on the cover of Vogue!



Oh, and just as a side note. Did you notice how fabulous Jess' eyebrows are? She gets them done at Oh-La-La Make-Up Studio in Trolley Square. They do AMAZING eyebrows. Check them out!

Happy (still cold) Wednesday!
- Kate

delaware child photographer, delaware portrait photographer, kate callahan, delaware newborn photographer, pictures, photography, portrait, delaware senior photography, senior pictures, glamour shots, glamour photography, professional photographer, baby photography, child pictures, on location photography, kate callahan

6 comments:

Jess April 8, 2009 at 12:21 PM  

It is SUCH a shame this look is over and done with...it was so much fun even in sub degree winds...I'm so excited about the results, they came out nice. You're the best!

Holley April 9, 2009 at 10:32 AM  

Wow Kate these turned out so good. Jess you look so pretty. :)

Kate April 9, 2009 at 2:37 PM  

Thanks, Holley. I hope that you're feeling better : ) I was sorry to hear that you're under the weather. I could make you some of Maggie's dragon-breathe medicine. Just let me know!

Holley April 9, 2009 at 3:26 PM  

Yeah Mono isn't fun. But I'm moving around again after over 2 weeks of lying in bed all day feeling horrible. I'll pass on the medicine haha...maybe next time. Thanks though :).

Last Forty Percent April 10, 2009 at 3:14 PM  

These are stunning!
- bri

Janet April 17, 2009 at 1:27 PM  

I agree this look MUST be brought back! It is so Feminine & just plan BEAUTIFUL!
I love the pics! She is a beautiful Model.

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP