Monday, February 2, 2009

Nominate a Friend Winner - Delaware Portrait Photographer

If I had to pick my LEAST favorite word ... ever ... it would have to be this one: Cancer. It's such an ugly word. More and more of our friends, family members, and wonderful strangers we've never even met are understanding the full weight of those six little letters. I've been watching as a new cancer center here in Delaware is being built. It's a gigantic, gigantic building. I feel sad each and every time I drive by it, knowing full well that the only reason you need a monstrous cancer facility is because there are so many individuals in need of treatment. Fortunately, many people today are winning their battle with cancer. Trish is one such person. Many moons ago, her good friend April sent me this touching entry in the nominate-a-friend contest. I received lots of wonderful submissions. I was very thankful that I had already given the job to Tara at SAS Cupcakes ... because I sure didn't want to have to choose. And here it is ... the entry that won Trish a free session and print package. 


************
TRISH
You can barely see the number 8 on my cell phone, because 8 is the designated speed dial for one of my best friends Trisha Pleasants. Trisha is my “person.” The person I call when I find an amazing bargain at Macys, the person I call when I finally get that great job, and the person I call when my heart is broken by a decade long crush. I can only hope that everyone has such a person such in their lives. When silence during a 2 hour car ride is no longer awkward, and honesty as to how that dress “really” looks on you, is never hurtful. I’ve become accustomed to our daily banters about absolutely nothing, and I always believed that our conversations, although serious many times, would never take a turn as it did in April 2008. Trisha was living in Virginia at the time and suffering from severe headaches. After a routine check up, her doctor suggested an MRI to rule out any irregularities in her brain. The rest is a blur, all I can remember hearing is mass, cancer, and radiation. I couldn’t believe what was happening. I drowned myself in research based upon her specific cancer and made up questions to ask her doctor. Treatment was decided and performed, now came the dark and heavy period of waiting. I waited for that phone call, the one where good news would finally be the subject of our conversation. I prayed that it would come. And it did! To sum up the period of April through September 2008 in 250 words is near impossible for a person such as me. However, the fact that number 8 on my phone is now almost erased and I still hear that “special” ring tone throughout the day is enough to make me smile. After all, everyone needs a “person” a number 8 on their speed dial….

***********

Trish is a busy gal. She was right in the middle of moving back to Delaware when April nominated her ... so it's been tough scheduling a date for her session. Finally, though, yesterday we were able to shoot some beautiful pictures. It was such a gorgeous day. The sun was shining. The icicles were melting. Our boots were muddy. And we had fun.









Grrr ...


I think this next one might be my favorite ...



















Thanks again to all those who nominated a friend for the contest. I'll be holding a similar contest again soon ... so be on the lookout for an announcement here on the blog!! 

Have a wonderful Monday!  - Kate


delaware child photographer, delaware portrait photographer, kate callahan, delaware newborn photographer, pictures, photography, portrait, delaware senior photography, senior pictures, glamour shots, glamour photography, professional photographer, baby photography, child pictures, on location photography

4 comments:

Anonymous February 2, 2009 at 10:01 AM  

Kate,

I just looked at the preview for Trisha's photo shoot. I know Trisha is going to love all of these beautiful shots. Thanks for bringing out both her "sassy" personality, as well as, both her inner and outer beauty!
always:)april

Anonymous February 3, 2009 at 1:59 PM  

great pictures! i've never seen so many cute coats!

Anonymous February 3, 2009 at 2:46 PM  

I LOVE IT!!!!Trisha these pictures truly captured your beauty and your great personallity and lets not even talk about style. Just Precious. Katina:)

Anonymous February 5, 2009 at 11:14 AM  

Trisha just sent this link to me. I'm a fellow head & neck cancer survivor, and tried to give her as much advice as I could when she was going through this last year. In a way she's more fortunate than I was because her scars are not external, but she didn't let the emotional scars get her down either.

It was hard to see through the teary blur after reading April's amazing letter, but the pictures are great and capture her "Trishaness."

Excellent work!

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP