Thursday, March 26, 2009

My Lovely Grandmother

What a week! I just spent the last few days visiting my Grandmother and some family near Boston. It was a quick ... but wonderful ... visit. My Grammy is a very special lady. She tells funny stories, LOVES sweets, and has a heart of gold. She also has an impressive amount of energy for someone her age. In fact, as our party exited the restaurant Wednesday night, she shuffled ahead of us all, right past the host. "How old is she?!" he asked us. "Ninety-seven," we answered. He shook his head in disbelief. 


Actually, Grammy is almost 98. And she's still as lovely as ever. Funny, too. And she sure does love Bella (who came along and sported a brand new black and pink fur coat ... soooo Boston).





I think I look a lot like my Grandmother. She's from Lithuania and when I look at books about the Lithuanian culture and people, I always feel like I'm looking at thousands of me (scary, I know!). (Side note: Please excuse my appearance. Some make-up and a brush would have helped, but it was a bit of a long week).



And here's my Dad and brother. He sure does look like his mother!





I love flipping through old family albums. I couldn't resist taking some snapshots of the snapshots. This first one is of my Grandmother's sister in Lithuania. It's funny, because I've been wanting to do a shoot with a Mom and her baby in a bike basket : )



I never met my Grandfather. He died before I was born. But here he is, looking very handsome. 



I've never seen my Grandmother's wedding picture before. But she had me pull it out today. She told me that it's been tucked away because she's scared someone will accidentally break it. I figured I'd see if I could get a nice gallery wrap of it so that she can hang it in her room. Man ... look at that tiny waist!



Oh boy. Now here's a polaroid! This is me and my two brothers. We're in Maine and were apparently spending some time in the sun. Where oh where did my blonde hair go?!



And my favorite shot of the day. My Grandmother is lovely. 


Tomorrow I'm off for a fun commercial shoot in NJ. I'll post some pictures soon! 

Happy Thursday!
Kate 

6 comments:

Anonymous March 27, 2009 at 8:22 AM  

I love these pictures. Your grandmother is amazing! What is her secret?? So I definately see where you get your nose from ans as for the height....it's your grandfather!! Old pictures are so beautiful. What a treasure. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous March 27, 2009 at 6:15 PM  

Love the old pictures, they are such a precious memories that will last for many years! ... and your Grammy has such a sweet face and a wonderful smile, Oh! and you have got to find out the secret of her youth. Enjoy every moment of yor stay in Boston!!

Maggie.

Tanna March 27, 2009 at 6:45 PM  

Kate, I can definitely see a resemblence between you and your Grammy, isn't it funny how those family genes work! And your right you were quite the little tanned blonde-haired girl....sooo cute.

Debi March 27, 2009 at 9:46 PM  

Kate,
Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures! Your Grammy looks very special- kind and sweet- What a special break for you! Love, Deb

Kate March 28, 2009 at 9:15 PM  

Thanks, girls! Her "secret?" I have no idea. But, she absolutely proves that you can consume lots of sugar and live a long life. She's got quite the sweet tooth --- something she's passed on to me : )

Unknown April 2, 2009 at 1:04 AM  

AND, don't forget the BUTTER! Sugar and butter...

Kate, these pictures are fantastic! We're glad you had a good visit - now it's time to venture out to Southern California!
We might have to hit you up for some copies of these pictures.

Love your site!
Hope all is well,
Beth and Chris Oleks.

Oh, and Chris wants to know what camera you're using... (he is dying for a Nikon D80)

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP